iPad Pro 2021 FAQs – everything you should know in simple questions and answers
If you buy an item via this post, we may get a small affiliate fee. Details.
1. Only the bigger variant sports mini-LED display.
2. Both 11 and 12.9-inch models have M1 chip, 5G, and Thunderbolt port.
3. Pro 12.9 is thicker than its predecessor making it incompatible with 2020 Magic Keyboard.
iPad Pro 2021 comes in two size variants, just as before: the 11-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
Here are quick and simple answers to the most common questions about the new range of top-shelf Apple tablets.
iPad Pro 2021 – table of content
- What is the difference between iPad Pro 11 and 12.9?
- Does iPad Pro 11 2021 have the mini-LED display?
- Is mini-LED in iPad Pro any better?
- How does mini-LED display work in iPad Pro?
- Does iPad Pro come with 5G wireless connectivity?
- How much is 5G iPad Pro?
- Does iPad Pro 2021 have ultra-wide camera?
- What is Center Stage in iPad Pro 2021?
- How much RAM memory does iPad Pro 2021 have?
- Does iPad Pro 2021 have LiDAR scanner?
- Is iPad Pro 2021 available in Sky Blue color?
- Is iPad Pro 2021 compatible with Apple Pencil 2?
- Can I use third-party stylus pens with iPad Pro 2021?
- Is iPad Pro sold together with Magic Keyboard?
- Is iPad Pro compatible with the Magic Keyboard?
- Can I use third-party keyboards with iPad Pro?
- Is iPad Pro compatible with the white Magic Keyboard?
- What are the best iPad Pro 2021 compatible stands?
- Are the dimensions of iPad Pro the same as before?
- How big is iPad Pro?
- Will my old case fit iPad Pro 2021?
- What are the best cases for iPad Pro 2021?
- Is iPad Pro 2021 faster than the older model?
- Does iPad Pro 2021 have Thunderbolt port?
- Can I use USB-C cable with iPad Pro 2021?
- How to connect 3.5 mm jack headphones to iPad Pro?
- Is iPad Pro good for students?
- Should I buy iPad Pro 2021 or a former generation?
- Can I buy iPad Pro on Amazon?
- Is it safe to buy iPad Pro on Amazon?
Tip: You can quickly search the content of this post by using your browser’s Find feature. You can usually call it by the following keyboard shortcut:
- Control+F on a Windows computer
- Command+F on a Mac computer
Apple iPad Pro 2021 – questions and answers
What is the difference between iPad Pro 11 and 12.9?
For the first time ever, the significant difference is not limited to the size of the screen. The devices come with different displays:
- iPad Pro 12.9 is equipped with the new mini-LED Liquid Retina XDR display.
- iPad Pro 11 comes with Liquid Retina display – the same as in a 2020 model.
Does iPad Pro 11 2021 have the mini-LED display?
No, the 11-inch iPad Pro variant does not have the mini-LED display. Only the larger 12.9-inch model comes with the newest display.
iPad Pro 11 (2021) sports Liquid Retina LED-backlit Multi‑Touch display with ProMotion, True Tone, and Wide color display (P3). Not mini-LED but still a gorgeous display.
Is mini-LED in iPad Pro any better?
The new mini-LED screen, called Liquid Retina XDR, offers features that matter for visually focused professionals, such as filmmakers, photographers, and videographers:
- 1000 nits of full‑screen brightness
- 1600 nits of peak brightness
- 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- Plus well-known display technologies – P3 wide color, True Tone, and ProMotion
How does mini-LED display work in iPad Pro?
This is the most advanced iPad display ever offered.
Over 10,000 mini-LEDs are spread across the entire back side of the display. These custom-made LEDs are 120 times smaller than LEDs used in a previous generation display.
The LEDs are grouped into 2,500 local dimming zones. The brightness of each zone can be precisely and independently adjusted to deliver an exceptional 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
Does iPad Pro come with 5G wireless connectivity?
Yes, both models offer support for the fast 5G connectivity.
In the US they support millimeter wave, the higher frequency version of 5G, allowing iPad Pro to reach speeds up to 4 Gbps.
How much is 5G iPad Pro?
Here are the prices of 5G variants:
|Storage||iPad Pro 11||iPad Pro 12.9|
Does iPad Pro 2021 have ultra-wide camera?
iPad Pro released in 2021 has not one but two ultra-wide cameras:
- On the front – 12 MP, ƒ/2.4 aperture, 122° field of view, TrueDepth, Center Stage.
- On the back – 10 MP, ƒ/2.4 aperture, 125° field of view.
What is Center Stage in iPad Pro 2021?
Center Stage is a new feature that’s very helpful when you make many video calls.
The front ultra-wide camera combined with machine learning uses the much larger field of view to recognize and keep you centered in the frame all the time.
How much RAM memory does iPad Pro 2021 have?
iPad Pro 2021 models come with the largest RAM ever on the iPad.
RAM is either 8 GB or 16 GB, and the size depends on the storage version:
- 8 GB RAM comes with 128, 256 and 512 GB storage variants.
- 16 GB RAM comes with 1 and 2 TB storage variants.
As a reference, RAM in 2020 iPad Pro models was either 4 GB or 6 GB, depending on the storage version.
Does iPad Pro 2021 have LiDAR scanner?
Yes, just like the 2020 model, iPad Pro 2021 comes with the LiDAR scanner.
LiDAR Scanner is an innovative feature that measures the distance to surrounding objects up to 5 meters away. The scanner, combined with data from cameras and motion sensors, enables a whole new level of augmented reality (AR) experience.
Fun fact: the same technology is being used by NASA for Mars landing missions.
Is iPad Pro 2021 available in Sky Blue color?
No, iPad Pro released in 2021 is available in either Silver or Space Gray, just like the previous-generation model.
Currently, Sky Blue is the color variant of iPad Air 4 only.
Is iPad Pro 2021 compatible with Apple Pencil 2?
Yes, iPad Pro model released in 2021 is compatible with 2nd-generation Apple Pencil.
Is iPad Pro 2021 compatible with Apple Pencil 1?
No, just like the previous-generation model, the 2021 iPad Pro is incompatible with Apple Pencil 1.
Can I use third-party stylus pens with iPad Pro 2021?
Yes, you can use third-party styluses with your iPad Pro.
Most pens offer palm rejection and come with replaceable tips. They are usually a few times cheaper than Apple Pencil 2. Check out the most popular iPad Pro compatible pens on Amazon.
What you have to keep in mind is that third-party pens can’t be recharged wirelessly by attaching them to the side of the iPad Pro. You will need to use the cable.
Is iPad Pro sold together with Magic Keyboard?
No, you will have to buy the Magic Keyboard separately. Its price is:
- $299 for iPad Pro 11
- $349 for iPad Pro 12.9
Since April 2021, the Magic Keyboard is available in two color versions: Black and White.
To buy the Magic Keyboard at a lower price, you can check out Amazon. It’s usually a few percent cheaper here than in the Apple online store.
Is iPad Pro compatible with the Magic Keyboard?
Compatibility depends on the size of the iPad Pro:
- iPad Pro 11 is compatible with Magic Keyboard 2021 and 2020.
- iPad Pro 12.9 is only compatible with Magic Keyboard 2021. Magic Keyboard bought before April 2021 is not fully compatible, although you still would be able to use it.
Can I use third-party keyboards with iPad Pro?
Yes, you can use with your iPad Pro the keyboards and keyboard cases from other producers, not only Apple.
Third-party iPad keyboards are a few times cheaper than the Magic Keyboard or Smart Keyboard Folio. However, only a few can connect via the Smart Connector.
Most keyboards and keyboard cases connect with the iPad Pro via Bluetooth module. They have to be recharged separately. Some keyboards come with a touchpad that is compatible with iPadOS.
The best source of third-party affordable iPad Pro compatible keyboards is Amazon.
Is iPad Pro compatible with the white Magic Keyboard?
The white Magic Keyboard was released in April 2021 and is compatible with both the 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2021 models. It is also compatible with earlier iPad Pro generations: from 2020 and 2018. You can get the Magic Keyboard on Amazon.
What are the best iPad Pro 2021 compatible stands?
The best stand is the one that meets your own needs to the fullest.
There are several stands that work with iPad Pro, so the first thing you should do is define what kind of stand you need.
Here are some iPad Pro stand ideas:
- A foldable travel stand
- A desktop stand for video calls
- A stable floor stand
- A stand kit for creatives and designers
- A stand combined with a charging station
- 360-degree rotatable stand to use the iPad as a second Mac monitor
- A pillow stand for Best iPad bed, sofa, and other uneven surfaces
Check out a popular list of the best iPad stands that’s curated by our sister site Ebook Friendly.
Are the dimensions of iPad Pro the same as before?
It depends on the size variant:
- iPad Pro 11 – the dimensions are the same as in the earlier model from 2020.
- iPad Pro 12.9 – width and height are the same as before, but the device is by 0.5 mm thicker than before (6.4 mm versus 5.9 mm in the older model).
Here are the dimensions of iPad Pro 2021 models:
|Dimensions||iPad Pro 11||iPad Pro 12.9|
|Inches||9.74 × 7.02 × 0.23||11.04 × 8.46 × 0.25|
|Millimeters||247.6 × 178.5 × 5.9||280.6 × 214.9 × 6.4|
How big is iPad Pro?
If you want to compare the size of the two iPad Pro models, I have made a visualization that also includes the new iPad mini 6.
You can find the dimensions of all generations of all iPad models in the complete iPad dimensions guide over at Ebook Friendly.
Will my old case fit iPad Pro 2021?
It depends on the model you are going to buy.
iPad Pro 11
Your old case will fit, if you can live with the speakers being partially covered.
It’s because the position of speakers has been changed. Speakers are now closer to the center, and speaker holes are bigger.
If you put your old backshell case on the iPad Pro 11 2021, it will cover about 30% of the speakers. ⇢ Read full explanation.
iPad Pro 12.9
Your older cover or keyboard case may not fit the new model.
It’s because the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 is by 0.5 mm thicker than its predecessor. The remaining dimensions (width, height, and shape) are the same. ⇢ Read the full explanation.
What are the best cases for iPad Pro 2021?
Original case covers don’t necessarily have to be the best ones. First, they are far too expensive. Secondly, they don’t give a 360-degree protection, leaving the corners vulnerable.
At Ebook Friendly, we are maintaining a list of the best iPad Pro 11 case covers. You can find there:
- Best Smart Cover alternatives
- Modified tri-fold covers
- Fashionable cases and sleeves for women
- Award-winning keyboard case from Brydge
- Heavy-duty cases with advanced features
- Multi-functional sleeves and organizers
- Sleeves hand-crafted from natural cotton or genuine leather
- Best designer iPad Pro cases from around the web
Is iPad Pro 2021 faster than the older model?
Yes, it’s much faster.
iPad Pro 2021 sports M1 chip – the revolutionary chip borrowed from Mac computers. Thanks to that the newest iPad Pro deliver a huge performance boost:
- Up to 50% faster CPU performance than the 2020 iPad Pro model equipped with A12Z Bionic.
- Up to 40% faster graphics than the 2020 iPad Pro model equipped with A12Z Bionic.
Does iPad Pro 2021 have Thunderbolt port?
Yes, iPad Pro 2021 is the first iPad ever to feature Thunderbolt / USB 4 port.
Thanks to the Thunderbolt connection, iPad Pro 2021:
- Delivers up to 40 Gbps bandwidth for wired connections.
- Supports 10Gbps Ethernet.
- Supports the best external displays, such as Pro Display XDR (at full 6K resolution).
Can I use USB-C cable with iPad Pro 2021?
Yes, you can use your current USB-C cable with the Thunderbolt port.
The Thunderbolt is basically the USB-C port offering much higher transmission speed.
How to connect 3.5 mm jack headphones to iPad Pro?
Just like previous generations, iPad Pro 2021 doesn’t have a traditional 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Instead of buying Bluetooth-enabled headphones or USB-C cable headphones, you can get a USB-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter.
The original Apple accessory costs $9, but you can find a cheaper alternative on Amazon. Here are the best-rated results.
Is iPad Pro good for students?
iPad Pro is the most expensive line of Apple tablets. Most students can’t afford it.
However, if the iPad Pro were within your budget, and if you are studying photography, filmography, or visual arts, you should consider getting it.
Apple offers education pricing for iPad Pro models. If you are a current or newly accepted college student, as well as a parent or teacher, you are eligible for a reduced price:
- iPad Pro 11 2021 student prices start from $749 instead of
- iPad Pro 12.9 2021 student prices start from $999 instead of
- Magic Keyboard prices start from $279 instead of
- Smart Keyboard Folio prices start from $159 instead of
You can check out all the prices and conditions in Apple Education Pricing.
Should I buy iPad Pro 2021 or a former generation?
It all depends on your personal needs and expectations.
If you are looking for the ultimate display experience, the best available performance, and reliable 5G wireless, you should go for the 12.9 iPad Pro model released in 2021.
If all you need is a top-shelf iPad with a stunning speed and performance that you can turn into an impressive laptop computer, you can buy the 2020 model as well. Read the full story.
Can I buy iPad Pro on Amazon?
Yes, iPad Pro is available to buy online not only through Apple’s website but also in leading stores, including Amazon.
Is it safe to buy iPad Pro on Amazon?
Yes, it is safe to buy iPad Pro on Amazon.
In late 2018, Amazon signed a deal with Apple to set up a dedicated Authorized Apple Reseller store. It means you can use your Amazon account to buy all things Apple in the most reliable way possible.
Even better, some devices with the Apple logo on it, are offered on Amazon at reduced prices – something you can hardly see in the Apple online store.
• • •
We removed a comment system to increase your privacy and reduce distractions. Let’s discuss this article in your WordPress Reader, or on Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow us on Google News.
Keep exploring. Here are other lists and tips for iPad users:
How to identify a song on the iPhone and open it directly in the Spotify app
– March 7, 2023
10 best digital planner apps for iPad and iPhone to use in 2023
– February 1, 2023
Unique composition notebook iPad and iPhone cases and sleeves
– January 27, 2023
Several iPad-ready power banks are on sale right now
– January 27, 2023
Twitter timeline fix: how to quickly see the tweets of users you follow
– January 25, 2023
Top gifts for geeks to get in 2023
Based on recommendations from top tech sites and customer reviews.
Vintage composition notebook iPhone case
This unique, intensive, pseudo-marbling composition notebook pattern with a preworn label is available on the latest iPhone cases in several colors, including green, brown, and purple.
Innovative 5-in-1 power bank with AC plug
This 10000mAh smartphone-size power bank comes with USB-C port, LED display with a battery capacity, three built-in cables, and a foldable AC plug. You can plug the power bank directly to the wall socket for fast charging.
Portfolio tablet case with accessories compartment
This customer favorited case bag from Tomtoc is compatible with all tablets up to 11 inches. It has passed the Military Standard Drop Test, and comes with an internal mesh pocket for accessories. Available in over ten colors.