1. On Amazon website, go to Your Content and Devices » Privacy Settings » Amazon Devices Privacy.
2. Select the device, and toggle Device Usage Data button at the bottom.
Using digital content has one major disadvantage: all the benefits are delivered at the cost of your privacy.
Digital content providers, including ebook and audiobook platforms, may collect a lot of information about you and your family. If you are concerned about it, you can limit what is collected and for which purposes.
There is no need to deregister your Kindle (in fact, it will become completely useless), but what you can do is disable data collection for marketing purposes.
Amazon provides such an option for all Amazon devices, including the Kindle. You can do it quickly on your computer.
How to disable data collection on your Kindle
1. Go to Amazon website and log in to your account.
2. Select “Your Content and Devices” from “Account & Lists” drop-down menu.
3. Go to Privacy Settings tab at the top navigation row.
4. Select the device you want to manage.
5. Switch the orange button under “Device Usage Data.”
6. Click “Turn off” button at the bottom of the dialog box.
7. Repeat the same for other devices connected to your Amazon account.
Turning off data collection will not decrease the convenience of using your Kindle. Amazon will still collect the data that’s needed, for instance, to manage notes, bookmarks, and last-read positions.
They will not, however, use the data for marketing purposes. Even if you will see the ads, they will not be based on your interests and activity.
Data Usage warning box on Amazon – full text
We use data about your use of this device to provide customized marketing offers you might enjoy and to improve our products and services for all users. You can opt out of allowing us to use personal data collected by the operating system of this device for these purposes by turning this setting off.
Turning this setting off will not affect:
- Your ability to use the features of this device, as we will continue to collect and process your data to deliver those features to you;
- Whether you receive marketing offers, though those offers may be less relevant to you; or
- The processing of data related to your use of Amazon services on this device
• • •
Keep exploring. Here are other tips and how-to guides:
Google Keep browser extension will no longer save articles automatically
– November 29, 2022
10 best iPhone Continuity Camera mounts, stands, and alternatives
– November 10, 2022
iPhone Continuity Camera – things to know and confusions to clarify
– November 10, 2022
iPad and iPhone: how to get full Kindle ebooks directly?
– November 8, 2022
18 smart gadgets that will make useful gifts (2022-23 roundup)
– November 5, 2022
Top gifts for geeks to get in 2023
Based on recommendations from top tech sites and customer reviews.
Multi-angle pillow stand with pen holder
An improved version of a popular Lamicall tablet pillow comes now with a side pocket for a digital pen or small accessories. The stand is two-sided, with three angles on each side. It’s made of durable materials and is available in five fashionable colors.
Innovative 5-in-1 power bank with AC plug
This 10000mAh smartphone-size power bank comes with USB-C port, LED display with a battery capacity, three built-in cables, and a foldable AC plug. You can plug the power bank directly to the wall socket for fast charging.
Portfolio tablet case with accessories compartment
This customer favorited case bag from Tomtoc is compatible with all tablets up to 11 inches. It has passed the Military Standard Drop Test, and comes with an internal mesh pocket for accessories. Available in over ten colors.