1. Not all your apps have to be backed up by Apple.
2. Remove less important apps from a backup list and enable iCloud backup.
How iCloud backup works
Your apps are saved in the Apple’s cloud, so that you can access them if you lose your device or replace with a new one.
What data is being saved in an iCloud backup?
- Apps’ content – for instance photos in the Photo app, or books in a Kindle app.
- App’s login credentials – so that you don’t have to log in again when you set a new device from a backup.
- App’s current status – for instance, the current last-read position in the Apple Books app, the custom app icon, etc.
- App’s settings and user preferences – for instance the chosen font, theme, shortcuts, etc.
To enable automatic backups of your iPad or iPhone within the free iCloud storage plan.
The free iCloud plan offers only 5 GB of storage. You will easily exceed this limit if you shoot a few videos or download one app too many.
Manage a list of backup enabled apps:
1. Remove apps which are not essential
Not all apps you have downloaded to your iPhone deserve to take a precious back up space. You get some apps to test, some other to play for a while. You decide to keep them on your device or forget to remove.
You can remove these apps from a backup list.
2. Remove apps which are synced by other services
Some apps are synced separately by their own platforms.
For instance, if you use Google apps – Gmail, Calendar, Drive, or Keep – you don’t need to back them up in iCloud.
When you set up a new iPhone or iPad, you will need to reinstall these apps, but the moment you sign in is the moment you get access to the latest content.
How to manage iCloud backup within free storage
1. Go to Settings » Apple ID » iCloud.
2. In the list “Apps Using iCloud,” deselect the apps you don’t want to have in your backup.
3. Find on this list the app called “iCloud Backup” and tap it.
4. Toggle the button to enable backup.
If your backup apps take less than 5 GB, the backup option will be enabled.
If your backup apps take more space than 5 GB, an alert will appear saying that more iCloud storage is needed and stating how much extra space is needed.
In this case, go back to the list of backup enabled apps and deselect some more.
Tip: Photos and videos usually take the most space. Install Google Photos and enable automatic backup option. When you open Google Photos and the back up is finished, you can remove photos from Apple Photos app, releasing a space you need for backing up the rest of your iPhone.
Note: Please keep in mind that if you want to re-enable backup for some apps, for instance, Apple Photos – and there is not enough free space – you will not be able to do it without upgrading iCloud plan.
• • •
Keep exploring. Here are other tips and lists for iPad users:
How to call an emergency number if your iPhone’s display is broken
– April 25, 2022
How to reuse your old tablet – here are 11 ideas
– April 21, 2022
Is iPad Air 5 compatible with my old case?
– March 17, 2022
The best iPad Air 5 sleeves and bags to get in 2022
– March 8, 2022
The best tablet accessories in 2022
– January 12, 2022
Top tablet accessories to get in 2022
Based on recommendations from top tech sites and customer reviews.
Innovative pillow stand – great for hands-free use
An improved version of a popular Lamicall tablet pillow comes now with a side pocket for a digital pen or small accessories. The stand is two-sided, with three angles on each side. It’s made of durable materials and is available in five fashionable colors.
Slim 20000 mAh power bank with built-in cables
A high-capacity and lightweight power bank with intelligent LED display and three built-in charging cables: micro USB, USB-C, and Lightning. A hand strap doubles as one of the charging cables. No more cable mess!
Portfolio tablet case with accessories compartment
This customer favorited case bag from Tomtoc is compatible with all tablets up to 11 inches. It has passed the Military Standard Drop Test, and comes with an internal mesh pocket for accessories. Available in over ten colors.