Why you should not buy Kindle ebooks using Transfer via Computer option
• Transfer via Computer is one of the delivery options you can select when buying a Kindle book.
• The downloaded file can only be opened on the selected destination device.
What is “Transfer via Computer” Kindle purchase option?
- “Transfer via Computer” is one of the delivery options you can select when you buy a Kindle book on an Amazon website.
- Instead of delivering a file directly to one of connected devices or apps, you download the file directly to your computer.
- “Transfer via Computer” looks like a convenient way to back up Kindle books – you can store all Kindle books on your computer, and upload later to any of the connected devices.
How does “Transfer via Computer” work?
1. When you buy a Kindle book online, you can choose how you want the file to be delivered to your connected Kindle, Fire, or Kindle app.
2. When you click on a “Deliver to” drop-down list and select the last option – “Transfer via Computer” – you will be able to download the file directly to the disc of your computer.
3. In the next step, you will be asked to select a device you will want to transfer the file to via the USB cable. You can choose only one device, and it could only be a Kindle e-reader or Amazon Fire tablet.
4. The file is being prepared, and you should be able to save it to the computer in a few seconds.
Why you should not use “Transfer via Computer” when buying a Kindle book
I have tested the option and in my opinion it comes with one huge limitation: you can only open the purchased file on the device you have selected. The file will be seen on other connected devices as not compatible.
So, if you have selected your current Kindle Paperwhite as a destination device:
- You will only be able to add the file to your current Kindle Paperwhite.
- You will not be able to open it directly in a Kindle app on your Android or iOS device – the message will appear saying “The document you tried to send it not of compatible format.”
- You will be able to copy the file to your other Kindle e-reader or Amazon Fire that are registered with your Amazon account, but you won’t be able to open it directly.
Fortunately, the purchased book will automatically be added to your Kindle cloud library, so if you want to open it on other connected devices, simply open them, tap “All” tab in the home view and download it.
As you see, “Transfer via Computer” Kindle purchase option is not a good backup solution. It’s useful only when your Kindle e-reader or Fire tablet is not connected to the internet at the time you buy a Kindle book.
• • •
We removed a comment system to increase your privacy and reduce distractions. Let’s discuss this article in your WordPress Reader, or on Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow us on Google News.
Keep exploring. Here are other lists and tips for Kindle users:
iPad and iPhone: how to get full Kindle ebooks directly?
– November 8, 2022
How to read bionic books on iPad and iPhone
– May 28, 2022
Here are 10 free bionic books for your e-reader or book app
– May 26, 2022
Where are my sideloaded books on Kindle?
– May 16, 2022
How to add epub files to your Kindle or Kindle app
– May 6, 2022
Top gifts for geeks to get in 2023
Based on recommendations from top tech sites and customer reviews.
Vintage composition notebook iPhone case
This unique, intensive, pseudo-marbling composition notebook pattern with a preworn label is available on the latest iPhone cases in several colors, including green, brown, and purple.
Innovative 5-in-1 power bank with AC plug
This 10000mAh smartphone-size power bank comes with USB-C port, LED display with a battery capacity, three built-in cables, and a foldable AC plug. You can plug the power bank directly to the wall socket for fast charging.
Portfolio tablet case with accessories compartment
This customer favorited case bag from Tomtoc is compatible with all tablets up to 11 inches. It has passed the Military Standard Drop Test, and comes with an internal mesh pocket for accessories. Available in over ten colors.